The journey began in 1896 when Morgan B John initiated the business on Lydiard Street South with a modest workforce of three men. However, it rapidly expanded from a small machine shop and foundry into a sprawling complex with offices, a social club, and a pattern shop on Armstrong Street’s west side.
The evolution continued with the incorporation of MB John Ltd in 1927. In 1954, the company moved to a significant 12-acre site on Creswick Road, establishing itself as the large-scale manufacturer known as “John Valves.”
By 1960, the workforce had grown to 850 men, specialising in producing industrial valves for diverse applications like steam, water, oil, air, gas, and chemicals. Their range included valves made from bronze, cast iron, cast steel, and alloy steels, catering to domestic and global markets.
Ballarat’s Australian Valve and Engineering (AVE) acquired John Valves in 2009. AVE had a long history of servicing and repairing John Valve products. With AVE securing the name, patents, trademarks, and intellectual property, the business could focus on growth under the new name.
After over a decade of growth, John Valves manufactures, repairs, and maintains a wide range of industrial valves. The head office is located in Ballarat, with additional locations around Australia. Our clients are all around Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific, and a growing international customer base.
We strive to embrace new technology, methods, and innovation to build our legacy and know-how.
Founder and Early Years:
Shift to Valve Manufacturing:
Expansion and Acquisitions:
A New Era